Wednesday 8 October 2008

Banjo-Kazooie hits xbox earlier then I thought



Ok so its not Nuts and Bolts. But it still a classic. Like I said before I loved this game and even though I already have it. I might actually download it. It's becoming harder and harder to bring out the N64 and connect it up to the telly.
I just don't have the time to keep doing it nor do I have the space to leave it out.
Now seeing that this was going to be available on the XBox live market place (aka XBLA, short for XBox Live Arcade) , I went to see what else there was on offer.

Now I have had the following game for a while but I would always recommend it. And it's had a couple of good reviews by a fellow podcasters which you can download from here and a fellow blogger which you can find here.
Yep you've guessed it Super Street Puzzle II HD.

Chun-Li is even doing what I do in real life when I'm in a situation like this and crying her eyes outs.

Another game that is a little gem and I know will get looked over is Braid.

A novel take on the time bending platformer genre that also has gentle nods towards Mario. There is a level titled "JumpMan" where in the first part you have to clime up some platforms that look strangly familiar and even has a statue of a monkey on top. I wonder what game that was in based on?


Each level (or world as they are known as in game) has a different set of rules that effect how time works. The first two acts as tutorials preparing you for later stages, with the first introducing you to the basic physics (and if you do die the replay feature). Where the second introduces "time proof items". These need thing need a little more explanation to make sense.
Now let say you drop down a pit and can't get out. All you need to do is hit rewind and vola you're out of the pit. The only thing is, that any action you did while you where in said pit would also be rewinded. So if you kill a monster while down there, it would get resurrected. Or if you picked up a normal item, you would drop it. However. If the item is time proof, no matter how much you rewind, the item itself will not reset. Now in the beginning this leads to quite simple but brilliant puzzles. Lets take the pit example again. There is a time proof key which is needed to unlock a door. But it's at the bottom of the pit. What to do, what to do? Well it's easy. Jump down, pick up the key then rewind. As the key is time proof it will rewind out of the pit with you.
After this introduction to the basics each world has it's own set of rules that incorporate the originals tutorial rules. I won't go into too much detail because the whole fun of Braid is to find out and experiment with all the different rules.

So yeah that just a little take of some of the games available on XBLA, and I might post some more at a later date. Oh and sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors. I've just got in from work and I'm shattered. Don't worry I'm not going to post another photo of me asleep on the keyboard.
Ice Koobs

1 comment:

fatherkrishna said...

I've downloaded three Dreamcast games (that I actually have on disc)from XBLA - Ikaruga, Soul Calibur and Rez - just for ease.

Of the ones you flagged up Super Street Puzzle is one I might consider getting.