Wednesday 28 January 2009

Aw Karas

Time for another anime special. The star of today's Animated Wednesday being Karas (Which is Japanese for The Raven).

Now you may reconigse the picture or the name. Well if you read fellow blogger Random J's blog then you made as well have seen him as he stars in the Game Campon Vs Tatsunoko.

As an anime it doesn't follow the set rules as such. It always has a serious tone very rarely having a slapstick moment, if any. Not to say that this is a bad thing. Sometimes you will get so caught up in your thoughts about what is going on that you don't need any unnecessary comedy going on. The main story revolves around Ex-Karas Eko. Well not so much him but more about him going AWOL and wanting to re-build not just Tokyo but the whole world. Step in Otoha. The replacement Karas chosen by Yurine, the embodiment of the spirit and will of the city. I never realized how hard it is to write a review about something with out actually given away to much of the plot. I want to write more about the story but everything is revealed little by little with in the actual show. So that's why I can't really talk much more about the story. But take my word on this. I do recommend getting this DVD. If not for the story then the art style. It currently comes on two different disk which can be purchased together or separately. One complaint I do have is that the fight scene in the second disk don't match up to the ones in it's predecessor. But it is estinal if you want to answer all the unanswered questions.

The thing that I like the most about Karas is the how good the hand drawn sections are merged with the computer generate parts. Take the example below that shows the first action scene.


Looks almost real is some places. When I was younger (well four years ago to be precised) and uneducated in the way of graphic design, I always believed that it was all live action. I can now tell the difference but it is still visually stunning.

Karas is also one of those anime that you can watch again and again and notice little things that you wouldn't of notice the first time around. Which makes it great value for money.

Now because I don't want to ruin the story I left out quite a bit. But if you want to ask any questions then drop a comment. I'll try my hardest to give a spoiler free answer.
Ice Koobs

1 comment:

Junlee said...

That dude looks cool!