Wednesday 5 November 2008

AW. A return of Ice 101

Before I start doing any reviews about any type of animation I feel that I need to get some things clear. The differences between Manga and Anime. The best way to do this I feel is reintroduce "Ice 101".

Ice 101
Lesson #004 Anime and Manga
Now when I was a young lad (some people would still say I'm a whipper snapper) I was greatly confused by Japanese Animation. I would always go into shops and ask for Manga and get shown to the DVD section. Which isn't right. Manga is the equivalent of a graphic novel, so it should be in the book section of the store.
But this always made me think "Am I wrong?" (I wrong most of the time, so it wouldn't of surprised me). But atlas i was right. There was a company over here that produced Anime DVDs and are called Manga. This is what the confused the sales people. Dumb asses. Also another factor that contributed to the confusion is that lots of Anime, if it's popular, get converted to Anime. A bit like a good book can get turned into a movie. (If it becomes a GOOD movie is another question).
Anyway just so that everything is clear here are is an example of Anime and Manga. This is from the Manga of Naruto. The following video is of the same scene but in the Anime version.




Oh I forgot to mention another thing. Manga is normally reads from the right to the left (more on this later). So for example the above would be read as "Kage Bushin No Justu" Not "Justu Kage Bushin No". Kage Bushin No Justu means "Shadow Clone Technique" btw just in case you were wondering. See who say I don't do anything educational. I'm teaching Japanese.




As you can see there's not much difference between the two. And I like both as much as the other.
Now a bit more about why Mangas read from the right to left. The most important fact is that Japanese is read from the right to the left. Now it used to be that Manga when released in the UK and the US was published in a "flopped" fashion. In that everything is reverse so that it will read from left to right. Where this would make reading easier it also reversed any designs as well. So a shirt saying "Hello" would read "olleH" and because it wasn't actually part of the script it wouldn't get corrected. Also many artist didn't like this being done to their work. They said that it skews the original idea.

So there you have it. Another lesson finished. So now when I'm talking about Anime or a Manga you're hopefully know what I'm on about as well as which is which.
Ice Koobs

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent lesson.
That is the only episode I have ever seen of Naruto. Would like to see them all. It looks really good.
Too bad there's 5 million of them...

Ice Koobs said...

Word on the 5 million episodes.
I use to download them. But then I didn't have the net for a year and when I came back I got lost. I might try and get back into it sometime.
I might dedicate a Animated Wednesday to Naruto one time as well. Its a very good introduction to Anime and Manga.

Junlee said...

I'm partial to Avatar myself. :D