Sunday 15 June 2008

What games get away with


Why do I always find the bad things?
First Head in the shop now this.When I first read this I did a double take. And yes, it does say "When you were IN a child". And from the shocked face of the Judge, you would be forgiven for thinking he did do some nasty things.
This game BTW is Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations for the Nintendo DS. Part three of a series you play as Phoenix Wright Attorney of law. Kind of a give away from the title. Now the gameplay is based on a classic point and click adventures that you use to get on the P.C. Don't worry if you never heard of played a Point Click adventure because guess what?

Ice 101
Lesson #002: Point and Click Adventures
That's right it's another Ice 101, this time about the Point and Click Adventures.
This a game genre where you travel around the game and click on certain objects. Now some of these object would be added to your to your inventory. This could then be use to solve a puzzle later in the game.
Here an example from a classic Point and Click game "Discworld 2 Missing Presumed...!?".
This is just to get some wax for some dribbly candles. I'll explain in detail after.

"Go over to the beehives and use the chili on the flowers. Give the clickie brochure to the
beekeeper and the use the petticoat on Rincewind. Light the incense with the matches and use it
on the bees. Now that the hive is smoking, use the clay pot on it and then double-click on the hive
to get some dribbly beeswax."
Does this make no sense. Don't worry, Diskworld always had a strange logic. To get dribbly candles you need to have dribbly wax. To get dribbly wax you need to make the bees sweat. And thats why you throw chili onto the flowers. Because it makes the bees sweat. This is the logic does not apply to all Point and Click Adventures. Its ummm "Unique". But as you can see there is a lot of collecting and puzzle solving which is great for the logically minded.
Here's some point and click games that I would recommend:
Diskworld 2 (I've never played the first one)



Day of the Tentacle (Yep you've got to protect the world from tentacles)

Broken Sword (This is just one of the a big series, but I think this is the best one)
And last but not least Escape from Monkey Island (This is again part of another massive series. And again I would say this the best one)

Anyway back to Phoenix Wright. Trials and Tribulations was never released in the U.k I don't seem able to find a reason anywhere. Then I thought hell might as well get an import and now I found the reason. Because of the pedo they have for a judge.
Only kidding I know it was a typo. But then again in this day and age I wouldn't be surprised if someone did complain about this. Maybe it was because of this one mistake that it wasn't released in good old England. I doubt it, but it could be why.
Ice Koobs

3 comments:

Ricky Moreno said...

did i give you escape from monkey island?
i used to have that. if i did im proud to have give you one of your favorite games

Ice Koobs said...

You gave me Broken Sword 2. Which led me to play number 1. So in a way you made me find one of my favorite games.

Ricky Moreno said...

im a hero