Wednesday 27 May 2009

MW. Super Mario Bros. The film not the game.


Was I one of the only people on the planet to like this movie? I admit I was young at the time (7 I think) so most of it went over my head. But it was still a good movie right? Actually I haven't watched it since I was 7. But I do remember enjoying it a lot.
When a movie is based on a game it normally flops. Super Mario Bros is just an example of this sadly, but the reason is quite clear for this. They don't follow the games story. Think about it. The Super Mario Bros movie actually has a decent story line. The problem is that they try to merge that story with the Mario franchise. Bowser is not a evolved version of a T-Rex. Nor is toad a reptile. Could you imagine if they made a Live Action Pokemon Movie but instead of catching them to battle, they were invading and you had to catch them to send back into space? Sucks, don't it?
Another example of this is the Tomb Raider movies. Both movies stick as close as possible to the games. And both movies are very successful.

Just to take my point further, I want you to watch the following clip:


Now if you were to watch that clip without the Mario-ness. The Bomb-Bomb, the names, the gun that looks like a SNES Super Scope (well make it a different shape at least) etc. that you would of had a decent movie.

It's times like these where I wish I had the skill to make a movie. Maybe that's not it. Maybe I just lack the movation. What ever it is I know that if I was to make a Video Game movie I would show every one excatly how to do it. Keep the main charaters in, do an ocassional refferance to a sub charater, try to get as many items as possible into the mix and the most imporant thing of all, KEEP. TO. THE. ORGINAL. PLOT.

Ice Koobs

3 comments:

Junlee said...

Simply put: One of the, if not the, worst movie ever made.

There's no kind of sugar coating you can give this one. It's just...terrible.

John Boy said...

We'll let you off because you were 7

Ice Koobs said...

Oh come on. Really? I think I need to re-watch it don't I?