Friday 18 February 2011

Fun times in the Living Room

The above picture sums up one of the many reason why I love Video Games. The amount of enjoyment they provide to everyone regardless of if they are playing or just watching.
There was a moment earlier where I was playing the Deadspace 2 Demo. The lights where switched off and I think I could safely say that everyone almost soiled their self. Not that I would blame them it they did. It was a scary demo with a random enemy climbing over a side railing which resulted in everyone screaming and me trying to punch it's face in. I won in the end. But was chopped in half a couple of times.
While video games always get shined in a bad light of being anti social is this really true? I don't believe so in the least. I used to be socially awkward when I was younger but I think that was just due to me being me and not because I played video games all the time. I'm proud to say that I've been able to make many friends over time and I'm an avid video game player. Many of the friends I've made have actually been through online matches and while I may not know these people face to face I would still consider them friends. In fact I even use online services such as Xbox Live or the Playstation Network to keep in touch with friends who may have moved away or that I'm unable to see. It's almost like our own way of arranging a get together down at the pub. Only cheaper and with so many drunken rants (there is still the odd one or two rants but not many).
So that's my argument against Video Games Making People Anti Social. What's your opinion on the matter? Do you even have one? Any reason why if you don't? I'm interested to find out.
Koobs

2 comments:

John Boy said...

Koobs, I love my gaming - you can tell from my blog. Anti-social? The online gaming revolution has made it social.

I'm gonna add you on psn and xbox. Look out for Thrice Greatest.

Anonymous said...

Like with anything, it comes down to the person...if they want to be anti social they will and only play on their own and not utilise the online gaming facilities. I don't play video games (partly because I the playstation is in constant use by the rest of the household!) but I know helluva lot of people that do and they love the community aspect of the online gaming so they can chat and play the games from the comfort of their individual living rooms. They also arranging gaming nights at one anothers houses when they want to get together in person. I think the the gamers can be as, if not even more so, social than a lot of non gaming people I know.